Friday, May 6, 2011

Garden Diaries - The work begins..

Last weekend we finally tilled the garden over! I am really excited to finally start planting, although I still have some work ahead of me. As you can see from the picture I have been pulling out most of the roots and large chunks of grass. The two bags off to the side are organic compost. I am using the compost to enrich the soil that is already there. It is important (so I have read) to make sure your soil is nutrient rich before you begin planting. As my daughter and I were digging through the dirt yesterday we found this lovely lady :
Yep, I am officially terrified of my garden now. This is a Carolina Wolf Spider. Needless to say I went screaming inside and have not been back out since! Apparently these are great to have in your Veggie garden, because they control the population of your pests. They are not poisonous...just really really ugly and scary looking. I decided not to kill her, and just let her be...but I am definitely wearing gloves and boots from now on...uuckk.

No comments:

Post a Comment