Thursday, April 21, 2011

Change!

Ok so I am having some conflicting feelings about EVERYTHING right now.  This is why I created Luhv Nation. I want to throw my ideas and my frustrations out there! I know I am not alone on these issues! 
So first of all, gas prices are ridiculous right now. On one hand I am upset because where I live it takes so much gas for me to get to the places I like going. On the other hand, Im glad! THERE..I said it! Before you get your panties all twisted, let me say that fossil fuel is a NON renewable resource. Im pretty sure we were all taught that in school. So when did we just all of a sudden FORGET that one day it would run out. Just because its not happening right now, doesn't mean its just never going to happen. IT WILL HAPPEN, so the price of oil is going to be skyrocketing from here on out..politics aside, we are waaaayy too dependent on the stuff.
I love to see that there are now so many options out there as far as energy goes, but only a handful of people and companies are really making the change. Everyday people are not doing enough. I am guilty of being this way too. They are still going through there day to day lives like nothing they do affects anyone but themselves. With all that CO2 going out into the atmosphere, we are suffocating the earth!!  and if it takes rising gas prices for people to realize we NEED to change to a more environmentally sustainable resource than so be it. I will ride my bike to the store. I don't REALLY need to take my car every time...I do it because I am lazy and spoiled. We all are.
There are many times during the day that I really wish I had been raised in an environment where we had grown our own food, kept our own animals and land and reused everything. My lifestyle is just gross. The amount of garbage I put into the world everyday, the amount of water I use...the food I buy..I don't even know where my vegetables are grown!. I am so dependent on these luxuries I have surrounding me and just the slightest scare of not being able to afford to put gas in my car makes me realize how badly I need to change.
I just wish some changes were easy! cloth diapering will definitely be one of the best decisions I can ever make, I already know that...but what else can I do? My husband is in the military..we live paycheck to paycheck and I am constantly trying to save money. So what little things can I do, to help save money and the planet...?...
Here are some of my ideas for staying within budget but becoming less destructive :)

1. Grow my own food! I am going to make a veggie garden,  I have never done this before...soo this should be interesting. I'll be documenting our Vegetable Garden journey through here and on my Youtube channel.

2. Hang dry : 80% of my laundry can be hung to dry, and my awesome husband set up a clothesline in the backyard for me:)  I will post pics soon!

3. COMPOST! heck yeah, Im sooo excited about this. I am going to build my own compost box in the back yard, this is inexpensive and it can really help my vegetable garden! 

4. Make my own stuff! so far I have made a few baby items on my own with my handy sewing machine...mostly out of boredom and because I can't afford to buy all new stuff. I have really fallen in love with sewing and I will be posting my creations as I go :) Home made cleaning products is also a big one! I will post recipes and links to my favorite places to go for tips and ideas.

5. How I buy. I can use my own reusable bags (I love that they sell them in the stores now...would be nice if they were free but hey, it costs money to save the world).  I can choose to buy locally grown produce (while I wait for my veggie garden to grow) Farmers markets are a great place to go shopping, I love the atmosphere too!   Cutting down on plastic by  only buying products packaged in cardboard. Even better if they are recycled cardboard.
Try to always buy items second hand. No more of this "brand new" crap. Stuff is better when it has a story behind it anyway. Yard sales are also my "me time" on saturday mornings, I get a coffee and I go hunting for baby stuff!

Ok that is all I have for now, if  you have any great ideas you want to share with me on how I can cut down and keep my home GREEN! post them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment