Saturday, April 30, 2011

Garden Diaries - The beginning

So I have a little bit of a late start..its Almost May 1st and I do not have a single thing planted. Today we FINALLY rented a tiller and turned over the soil on my small patch of grass. I am excited to get out and work through all the weeds and grass tomorrow! We also bought a few bags of Organic compost to enrich the quality of the soil. I think it might be a little to sandy still to plant anything. I am hoping to have a good nutrient rich soil by the end of next week! Tomorrow we will be constructing our compost bin as well! So I will follow up with pictures of that and our newly tilled garden.
I have read that it would be a good idea to build a raised garden, but I am working on a very limited budget and I am doing this to save money on food after all...so I will try this first and see how it goes. I am already fearful of our neighborhood terrorists (the squirrels!) I planted morning glory flowers out front and they dug up and stole all my seeds!  So I have some reading to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment